We stayed at Cooks Beach in the Coromandel over the Christmas / New Year break, and played a music game while sitting up drinking tea before bed time: load up a playlist of songs on my phone on Spotify (e.g. 80s music) and play the first few seconds. “Points” were awarded for how quickly people would guess the songs, and additional points for the artist, particularly if they were harder to guess or were a not very well known one hit wonder. For some of them, I’d only allow a few beats before pausing and making them guess because they were so distinctive. No, we didn’t really count points, but it was a lot of fun.
Some of the tracks that came up were (and I will link to YouTube videos in time):
– I think we’re alone now by Tiffany (holy crap, that’s a bad song)
– Love My Way by the Psychedelic Furs (excellent song, I think they couldn’t recall the band)
– I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls (as above)
– Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran (I probably played about half a second of that one)
– Africa & Rosanna by Toto
– Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper (a second max)
– Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick “Rickrolled” Astley
– Eye of the Tiger by Survivor (about two bars)
– The Final Countdown by Europe (takes a little while to get going, but stop as soon as it does)
– We Built This City by Starship (the only challenge is remembering who sung it)
That’ll do for now. I may follow this up with more terrible, yet beautiful, and just straight terrible 80s music at some stage in the future.